Tuesday, July 15, 2014

....is Peanut Butter & Bacon Cookies


A few weeks ago our long time family friends, Mr. & Mrs. H and a number of others, helped my mom with her yard. A lot of people put in a lot of hours and I know it meant a lot to her. As a thank you she wanted to make cookies for the family so I offered my baking services. She told me Mr. H's favorite cookie was peanut butter chocolate chip and he loved bacon, I found this Food Network recipe and made a few alteration. I used the rendered bacon fat but no bacon pieces in the cookie because  they tend to get soggy when baked. I candied the cooked bacon before using it as a topping on the cookie so it would stay crisp and protect it from burning. (And I didn't have enough peanut butter so I had to do half almond butter as well.) There is a lot going on in this cookie, if I make them again I would be inclined to make them with only two of the three key flavors, I think it would simplify the cookie for the better. They were rich and delicious but one less ingredients would have helped the flavors blend together better.

Thanks again to everyone that helped my mom, the yard looks so much better!
(If you didn't get a cookie I take requests but for take out only, I'm not set up for delivery.)

makes roughly two dozen
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ancho chile powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
5 strips bacon (1/3 lb)
4 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, chile powder and salt in a large bowl.

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; reserve 2 tablespoons of the drippings and set aside to cool. Crumble the bacon, discarding any chewy bits.

Beat the butter and reserved bacon drippings in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Beat in the peanut butter until combined, about 1 minute. Beat in the granulated and light brown sugar until creamy, about 4 minutes, then add the egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.

Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the flour mixture in 2 additions, scraping down the bowl as needed, until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Form the dough into balls and arrange 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Press a few pieces of candied bacon on top. Bake until golden, 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...